Inevitable Loss of products of conceptions between 0week to 24 weeks after conception. Women who have had a prior loss have higher chances of incurring another loss in subsequent pregnancies. This article will look into major causes of miscarriages.
- Maternal health–poor maternal health means the ovum released is of poor quality and the fertilized embryo is weak and not viable for life. This is worsened by a poor sperm quality. Important note is that both paternal and maternal egg quality affects viability of the embryo. In some cases we can encounter blighted ovum which is still unviable.
This can be avoided by preparing to conceive which entails
- Avoiding alcohol, smoking and chewing miraa/ Khat.
- Being of sound health and not sick at the time of conception. (different drugs e.g. pain medicine act as toxic agents to a pregnancy).
- Maintaining a clean diet free from fats and junk. Full of fresh iron foods and proteins.
- Using immunity supplements for both couples which include immunace supplements for 30 days.
- Cervix competence–the cervix will serve to protect the conceptus from early delivery by forming a thick layer of mucus at the entrance to the womb. This will also serve to prevent ascending infection from reaching the fetus.
if the cervix gate closure with mucus is not strong enough then the fetus and products of conception will press on the it and eventually pass out and that will be a miscarriage. Most losses where the cervix is incompetence occur between 16-24 weeks.
This can be prevented by having a cerclage of mc stitch in the second trimester to prevent the cervix from opening up. A special non absorbable thread used to keep the cervix closed for nine months.
- AGE– Maternal age and paternal age widely affects incidence of a miscarriage. This is because older parents are likely to consider an embryo with chromosomal problems also known as structural or body formation issues. This fetus are usually unfit for life and this pregnancy will get lost in time by 12 weeks.
Viable- not fit for life.
Goodluck in your TTC journey.
MISS JANET-HEALTH AND MEDICINE,FREELANCER, MOTHER, WIFE AND FITNESS INSTRUCTOR